Saturday, April 15, 2006

Plus One...not needed?

In the 5th season of 'Sex and The City', there is this episode called 'One'. Carrie wonders if we all have to go through life with a Plus One, or can we survive on our own; single and happy. I had the same thoughts last night. I got downtown around 9:30 in full preparation to eat dinner by myself and then meet up with Catherine on Sixth Street. I called Catherine atleast eighty times hoping that I wouldn't have to eat alone, but sadly she wasn't even downtown yet. So I get to McCormick and Schimdt's and they don't have tables for just one person. No, you have to be a Plus One or in a group in order to eat there. I walk outside and just like I thought, there was no "No Singles allowed", sign on the door. I look around and debate between eating at Holcyon or eating Roppollo's Pizza. I went with the latter and decided to sit on the corner of 4th and Colorado and watch people. Afterwards, I walked over to Halcyon to have a drink before Catherine called me and just my luck, my new favoriate bartender was working and I had a nice Rum and Coke in one hand and a cigarette in the other. Forget the Plus One crap, these two were the only ones that I needed at that moment, and then it happened: This hot guy is walking down 4th street, Pony tail, muscular build and a nice brown complexion. I was in awe, he then looked at me and smiled and I of course return the favor. He walks up the stairs and I tell myself not to turn and look, just wait for him to approach . Sure enough he does, and this is the kicker. He came up to me goes, "Alberto". What-THE-fuck?! I sadly say no and see a aquaintance of mine named Alberto standing behind him. I point to Alberto and say, "I think that's who you're looking for". Alberto I might add, is not very attractive but I guess even the unattractive can still find a Plus One, and me I find None. Catherine finally called me and I headed over to Blind Pig to meet up with her and some of her friends. I was quickly sidetracked by Fija, who wanted me to meet her cute gay friend. Seeing that I was going through some Plus One Drama, and the restraunt they were eating at was right across the street from Catherine, I agreed. I then met Mike, or Matt, or Mario, or Marcus I forget but he was cute, and 19. Yea 19, I think I learned my lesson with 19 year olds and I don't want to go down that road again, but he was cute. I catch up with Catherine and she introduces me to her friends and I got to meet this really interesting girl named Stephanie, a fellow blog writer. Catherine is going to give me her address so I can add her to my Daily Reads. It was good talking to another blogger because we got to share our various stories. I also enjoyed my time with Catherine(whose Plus One, Mike was doing his taxes), she was telling me about her upcoming wedding and various other things. My sister in law then calls me and tells me that they want to meet up since her and my brother rarely go downtown and she had a friend in town she wanted me to meet. I walked over to the Warehouse district and meet up with my brothers and both of their Plus Ones and we head over to Vicci but they won't let us in. Now picture a hot blond yelling on her cell phone, that's my brother's girlfriend. She's pissed that we can't get in and she is talking to the manager of the club, I believe. Now this is the best part. "Who the F*ck is in that bar, that won't let us in?!!", she goes and then continues, "Is Jesus f*cking in there??!?! Is he just passing out Salvation to everyone and we aren't f*cking allowed in?!!?" I couldn't stop laughing. As the night ended I got home and this scraggly looking guy asks me for a cigarette, being in the buzzed head that I was in I give him one, which is something I don't normally do. He looks at me and says, "I've met you before." "You have?" I ask. "Yea I gave you my number." He says, and I take a look at him and think to myself, now that's one Plus One I'm glad I didn't give a chance. After getting rid of the scraggly guy, I begin to wonder. Do I need a Plus One? I open my front door and there is DC(my Deaf Cat), and I say outloud, "DC, you're the only Plus One I need. You listen, you don't talk back, and all I have to do is feed you and change your litter box." Oddly he purrs, almost if he knew what I was saying. So maybe I don't need a Plus One. But really is a Plus One...not needed?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know...psychologists and social scientists will tell ya that studies have been done indicating that individuals (sic) lead a healthier emotional, physical, and, possibly, spiritual life when coupled with a serious, intimate, committed other...individual. Of course, I've always had kind of a fond spot for the financial perks, myself...tee hee.

Then there's the more romantic idea that having a "plus one" gives you that one ultimate audience with a front row seat to your most intimate world. Someone to actually witness your life on this planet in a way family and friends will never be able. Whatever.

I'm more cynical. I think it's programmed into our thinking at birth that we are forever incomplete till we meet our "plus one" - that 'special someone' that will act as the ultimate, fateful, destined extension to our ever-fragile egos. Our very own living, breathing mirror. What a load of crap...'I don't really exist - living a truely, fully realized life except through the eyes of my...plus one'. Yuck. What I prefer to believe is...that, ultimately, the love we find and share in this life has nothing to do with adding someone on to our already-doin-fine "one-ness", but two joining instead as ones (not ONE, but ones). Ya know - "I love you cause you're you and you love me cause I'm me". "Plus one" for me sounds like "minus you" and that just couldn't be fun for anyONE. I say - you CAN lead a fabulous, full life without a "plus one"...at least I hope so...cause Baby G...no one's ever gonna be able to put up with your shit, for real.

..and, yes, this probably all comes off sounding terribly lonely...so don't even hate bitches.

4/15/2006 05:54:00 PM  
Blogger R3dcurlz said...

I could use a Plus One, too. If you find out where they're keeping them, you let me know, k? Thx.

4/16/2006 08:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they live in caves...with the lesbians. :-)


I'm just keeeeeeeeeding!

4/16/2006 11:18:00 PM  
Blogger stasia said...

I think it's spelled Halcyon.

4/18/2006 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Velvetsaje said...

thanks...

4/20/2006 05:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home